Annual Birthday Interview Questions Free Printable
I absolutely adore birthdays! It’s that one special time of year that’s just for you. I want my son to feel extra special on his birthday but that doesn’t mean throwing crazy parties and giving tons of presents. I prefer super special one-of-a-kind birthday traditions. One of my favorite birthday traditions is our annual birthday interview questions. It’s such a fun idea and makes a treasured keepsake that you can savor for years to come.
If you haven’t heard of the yearly birthday interview tradition, let me break it down for you. Basically, you have a list of questions (usually the same ones) that you ask your little one each year. Record their answers each year and see how they change over time.
For younger kids, you can write out the answers for them. If you’re wanting to start birthday interviews with your baby or toddler, you can simply answer the questions for them until they are old enough to answer.
Why Should You Do Annual Birthday Interviews With Your Kids?
Our Memories Fade
Our kids grow up way too quickly and we can easily forget those small details. Wouldn’t you love to have a special keepsake you can take out and remember all the silly things they used to say and all the fun things they loved to do?
I know, I sure do. It’s only been 2 years with my sweet little bug but it’s gone by oh so quickly. I want to hold on to every little detail as long as I can.
It’s Fun for Everyone
I think this is such a super fun tradition that both parents and kids alike would love to do. You can make the interview extra special if you want to.
Why not take your child on a special one-on-one date, enjoy a meal and do your annual interview together.
It can be one more special birthday tradition to look forward to each year.
Make a Birthday Interview Book
This memorable tradition means you get an irreplaceable keepsake when you’re done. You can take a picture each birthday and add it to your interview questions, then put them in clear plastic sheet protectors and make a birthday interview book.
The kids can decorate it however they like and you will all enjoy taking them out and reading them together as you reminisce on how much your little munchkins have grown and changed.
What Kind of Questions Do You Ask For Yearly Birthday Interviews?
This is the best part because you can ask them anything and everything you want to remember.
You can ask funny birthday interview questions that elicit silly answers.
Or you can ask them all about their favorite things at the moment.
What about their most memorable moments of that year?
Or greatest achievements that year?
Another one I love is asking about their favorite sayings or phrases. I still think back to some of the things we used to say like, “Don’t have a cow, man!” I don’t want to forget any of those!
If you’re stumped on what kind of questions to ask, I’ve included a free printable of the questions I love using. Feel free to print it out and start this fun tradition with your kids too.
Some Standard Birthday Interview Questions
Here’s some examples of the typical questions parents usually ask their children for birthday interviews. You can start with these and add your own twists.
- What’s your favorite color?
- What’s your most and least favorite food?
- What do you want to be when you grow up?
- Who’s your best friend?
- What’s your most and least favorite subject in school?
- What’s your birthday wish?
- What’s your favorite song?
- What’s your favorite TV show/ movie?
- What is your favorite book?
Funny Birthday Interview Questions to Ask Kids
You can also throw in some funny questions that are bound to get a few laugh and result in some even funnier answers. I love these kinds of questions because they really show your child’s personality.
- What’s your biggest pet peeve?
- What would you do with a million bazillion dollars?
- Who is the coolest person you know? Why?
- What’s the yummiest thing mom/dad makes?
- What’s something new you learned since your last birthday?
- What’s your best piece of advice?
- What’s the best thing about mom/dad?
- What’s the best joke you heard this year?
- What are you scared of?
- What’s the most fun thing you did this year?
- Who do you look up to? Why?
- If the world was ending tomorrow, what would you want to do today?
- “Would you rather” questions
- What’s the last thing you ate today?
Birthday Interview Video
Along with the birthday interview questionnaire, another fun way to do this activity is by recording your kids answering the questions.
If you are planning to do the interview with a toddler or preschooler this may work out much better for you but it can still be fun to just record the babblings and musings of baby too.
I love the idea of having a video, along with the worksheet, to look back on. You’ll want to remember their sweet voice and excitement.
If you search on YouTube, you’ll see birthday interview videos have gotten pretty popular. And with good reason too, they are absolutely hilarious.Kids say the darnedest things! Check out this one below from ItsJudysLife, it made me LOL!
Tips for a Successful Birthday Interview with Kids
There’s a few things to keep in mind before you start your birthday interview form and some of these may seem obvious but it’s easy to forget.
- Distraction Free– choose a time with the least amount of distractions so obviously not when they’re busy playing or tired or cranky. This is why I love the idea of taking them on a special birthday date so you can focus on special bonding time and the interview.
- Kid Friendly Language- try your best to use language they understand. This should be fun and laid back. It shouldn’t feel like school work.
- Record Answers Verbatim– the point is that we want to remember what they used to be like so make sure to record their answers word-for-word, errors and all.
- Keep it Consistent– this one is up to you but I like the idea of using the same questions every year so we can see how they change over time.
- Add visuals- try to take a photo or video to make it extra special
- Customize It– you can certainly use my questions as a guide but I urge you to customize it to your children and your family.
- Mommy/Daddy Notes– don’t forget to add your own notes or observations you’d like to remember from that year. This is about all of you 🙂
Make Memories with Birthday Interviews
I hope you enjoyed our tips and tricks for creating birthday magic with interviews.With this special tradition, you can freeze time for just a little bit and I love that. Just scroll on down if you’d like to print a copy of our kids interview questions worksheet. I would love to hear all the hilarious answers you get! Leave me a comment below! What was the funniest answer you’ve gotten?
DOWNLOAD YOUR FREE
——–> BIRTHDAY INTERVIEW PRINTABLE <—————